57° Mount Pleasant, MI
MPHS Student News

The Pipeline

The Latest

The Pipeline

The Pipeline

Jojo’s Bookshelf

Better Than The Movies: Book Review
Addison Koch
Jolie with the book of the week!

Liz loves cheesy rom-coms: name one and she’s seen it. She lives like her entire life is one big romantic comedy movie. She wears dresses, falls head over heels for boys she’s never talked to, and dives into everything head first, eyes closed.

Wes is the annoying neighbor who she’s known her whole life. He is one of the most popular boys in school. They need to work together to get Liz’s dream good southern boyfriend by–you guessed it–fake dating! What could go wrong?

Finally! A romance book where the main conflict doesn’t center around miscommunication. Dragging out the plot by being a huge wuss and never telling each other anything is so frustrating and ruins characters for me. But not Liz, there’s no dancing around uncertainty here. Liz is just so to the point: She is my hero, and such a likable main character. 

Joss, our comic relief best friend, on the other hand is so judgemental–I would’ve kept my get-fake-boyfriend-to-get-real-boyfriend plan to myself too. Let Liz live her romantic fantasy life! I wish Joss was portrayed as more of a villain so I could rightfully dislike her.

Books like this always have one big confrontation scene at the very end, the whole book leading up to that moment. Better Than The Movies has so many dramatic declarations of love, and like 6 different confrontations and I loved it! It kept me on the edge of my seat, and I even found myself acting them out in my head.

This book is such a perfect little teeny bopper enemies to lovers romance. The banter between Wes and Liz is superb, and the characters were relatable. The book received 3.5 stars because the writing wasn’t earth-shattering and magical, but still kept me intrigued and was fun to read. Additionally, I can respect the character depth and development in Liz throughout the book. (not Joss, Joss had about zero personal growth.)

https://www.goodreads.com/joliedx2