58° Mount Pleasant, MI
MPHS Student News

The Pipeline

The Latest

The Pipeline

The Pipeline

2023 Trends In Review

Every year there are resurgences of trends that were apparent in the 2000’s, 90’s, and even the 80’s. In 2023 there was a revival of bows, a dominance of pink, a timeless appeal of Ugg’s, and an introduction into the world of Stanley’s. 

Bows became increasingly popular during 2023. The first time I saw bows being worn was when a singer, Gracie Abrams, would wear them during her concerts. In return this encouraged her fan base to wear them too. She headlined multiple dates for the Taylor Swift Eras Tour, which helped her gain popularity. I believe this is why the bow trend became so popular. 

Pink was definitely the star color for 2023. From Taylor Swift To Barbie it was the main color palette. Mentioning the Eras Tour again, many of her fans got dressed up for the concert in pink. In addition, Barbie was one of the most popular movies of 2023, and we all know what the main color of Barbie is. Barbie’s timeless connection to pink as a symbol of femininity and Taylor Swift’s fondness for incorporating pink aesthetics into her music videos and fashion choices likely contributed to a broader cultural embrace of pink.

Ugg’s were a trend in the earlier 2000’s but became popular again in 2022-2023. The Tasman Ugg’s, which are a shorter variant, were popular in early 2023. But the more popular Ugg’s towards the end of the year were the Ugg Mini Boots. The term “ugg boots” originated in Australia, initially for utilitarian footwear worn for warmth, and were often worn by surfers during the 1960s. In the 1970s, the boots were introduced to the surf culture of the United Kingdom and the United States. Now ugg boots are mostly worn during the winter for warmth.

Every year a new water bottle starts trending. The most popular one a couple years back was the Hydro flask. In 2023 it was The Stanley. Stanley’s 40-ounce Quencher cup gained rabid popularity for its array of colors and its ability to keep beverages hot and cold for long periods of time. Overconsumption of things like Stanley’s can be very dangerous though. I think it’s perfectly fine for people to partake in that trend, but when you go as far as buying every color, what’s the point anymore?

Social media obviously plays a big role in all of these trends becoming popular. We are now connected as humans in a way we never have been before. People try so hard to be different that they aren’t able to tap into these trends without seeming basic, but tapping into femininity and embracing things like bows and pink are fun and healthy for women to do. Women have suppressed their femininity for a long time due to societal pressures, so why not enjoy things? Trends fluctuate very quickly, so it’s hard to keep track of them, but these were my top trends of 2023.