57° Mount Pleasant, MI
MPHS Student News

The Pipeline

The Latest

The Pipeline

The Pipeline

October is National Book Month!

Amar Zerbe
MPHS has an extensive media center, including a vast library section

What is national book month?

National book month is held each October, and is celebrated to show the importance of reading, writing, and literature. Reading and writing are two activities that children and adults can benefit from massively! Frequent reading develops better reading and writing skills but also helps you gain more knowledge, improves vocabulary and can provide great entertainment. 

Amar Zerbe interviewed Ms Hovey about a book she read a while ago, called Precious Bane by Mary Webb. She described it as non-fiction with an old victorian romance, superstitions and drama. The book is set during the time of the Napoleonic wars and is about a young woman with a harelip (common birth condition, that can occur alone or as part of a genetic condition or syndrome.)  Her favorite part about the book was the ending and that the conflict was finally resolved. She liked the writing and how the language back then was different from how we speak now.