57° Mount Pleasant, MI
MPHS Student News

The Pipeline

The Latest

The Pipeline

The Pipeline

Teacher Feature: Mr. Young

Nadiley Madison

Teacher Feature: Mr. Young

Mr. Young has been a teacher for 12 years. Before that, he was a tutor at a highschool for a semester after he graduated college in 2011. He studied english and math in college and was an english teacher for two years before switching over to math. In his class, Mr. Young tries to play games and make math as interesting as possible to get his students to engage more. He also entertains his class by cracking jokes and telling multiple stories. Mr. Young’s favorite moment while in his teaching career is when he used the word “fallacious” to yell at a student and another student called him out saying it wasn’t a word. Mr. Young admitted to making up the word until someone searched it up and it was a word and he also used it in the right context.  If you’re considering becoming a teacher, Mr. Young’s advice for you is to “find parts of it that you love and go real hard on those because that will make up for the parts that are more challenging.”

Fun Facts:

Height: 6ft.

Favorite Food: Pizza

Favorite Drink: Coffee

Favorite Type of Music: Video Game Soundtracks

Favorite Hobby: Board Games & Video Games

Favorite Color: Green

Mr. Young tries to represent himself well as being the only African American teacher/staff at MPHS. It’s important to have diverse staff and teachers because the students of color would feel more comfortable being at school. February is Black History Month and that is a month-long celebration that honors the contributions of African Americans in history. It’s a great time to learn about and appreciate their achievements in life.