58° Mount Pleasant, MI
MPHS Student News

The Pipeline

The Latest

The Pipeline

The Pipeline

The Dish

What’s behind school lunch?
Kylee+Denslow+interviews+lunch+lady.+
DaNiya Page
Kylee Denslow interviews lunch lady.

Kristin Watkins, boss of the lunchroom, let us in on the School Breakfast Program and National School Lunch Program which is operated by the USDA. Under these programs all students are able to receive meals at no cost. “For us to purchase food to supply these meals, we receive reimbursement from the government for every meal we serve. Since we are receiving federal funds to fund our programs, we must serve and prepare meals that meet federal nutrition requirements. The food service department must follow specific guidelines ranging from types and quantities of foods offered and how meals are accounted for in the kitchen to what happens at the cash register and the nutrient makeup of each meal served. These guidelines are outlined in the Healthy Hunger Free Kids Act, which Congress passed in 2010 and makes sure every student has access to healthy and nutritious meals. Goals of this act include helping to reduce America’s childhood obesity epidemic and reducing future health risks. Guidelines are based on expert recommendations from the Institute of Medicine to ensure students are fed healthy food while at school. “These changes are reflected in the meals we serve, and each year, we are required to make progress in achieving improved healthy offerings. Specifically for whole grain rich items, like pizza crust”. “We are required to work towards offering 100% whole grain rich items in addition to reducing sodium and saturated fat.”

Behind the famous wrap station. (DaNiya Page)

Andy Kennard shares “I would like to see a change in the pizza crust” but due to the requirements the pizza crust must be whole grain. He adds “I like the variety of food, and I do like some of the food.” Abbi Hicks says “nachos are super good, not super fake.” And Anum Gala adds, “the food is good, I just wish they had bigger portions.” Madelin Price shares “I think the food is a lot better, they have great options.” Gabe Natzel says “I’ve heard the wraps were the best so I went down and tried one and I’d say they’re pretty good.” The lunchroom has a wide variety of food from Nachos to Pretzels and everyday changes to the menu as far as options. Something that really stuck out to us was the dietary restrictions. “The food is balanced and good compared to other schools but I wish there was more for people with dietary restrictions or even religious restrictions.” Victoria Daugherty says.