52° Mount Pleasant, MI
MPHS Student News

The Pipeline

The Pipeline

The Pipeline

Jojo’s Bookshelf

The Do-Over : Book Review
Ellery Boyle
Jojo kicking her feet with the BOOK OF THE WEEK!!!

Emilie Hornby has the worst Valentine’s day ever. Thankfully, the next morning it’s a new day with a new beginning. Or is it….? It’s not. It’s February 14th again. Perpetually.  Everyday she watches her boyfriend Josh cheat on her, and everyday she runs into the impudent Nick, which seems to be some kind of horrible fate. Even if he is kinda cute… Help!

I’ve got to say, Lynn painter is skilled at making you like her characters. Or maybe I just haven’t read a good romance in a while. But reading this I was thinking:  Nick and Emilie are so perfect for eachother it’s so obviously inevitable that they end up together! 

There was some cringe-worthy stuff in this book but, like… intentionally. I think this is the first book I have ever checked a few pages ahead to make sure everything turns out ok – of course it does, duh it’s a romance – But I was still anxious about it; it’s a good thing that a book made me feel that intensely, right?

Emilie was funny, I liked her.. most of the time. Emilie is supposed to be this insane people pleaser, and she loves to talk about how she’s a people pleaser, but I rarely see her actually pleasing people. Actually sort of the opposite. She’s kind of a nuisance sometimes.

I love Nick too, of course. He’s hot and tall and perfect, but he’s such a GUY. He’s so mean to her sometimes for NO REASON? He’s just grumpy ‘cause his brother died or whatever. I was still kinda fed up with him by the end and I don’t know if the unicorn cake would’ve cut it for me. I need a larger declaration of love. 

The characters have trauma backgrounds and development. They have reasons behind their actions and dreams for their futures. This level of depth is kind of rare for a young adult romance novel. 

I love this book. It’s so cute. It’s a high three stars. Higher than all the other threes. It’s adorable and easy and definitely keeps you interested.

Another thing about Lynn Painter that I love is that she makes little playlists for her books. It’s a much more immersive experience to listen to a playlist crafted precisely for the book, songs picked exactly for this moment, while reading it. Everyone go listen to betty by Taylor Swift right now. 3.8 stars.