55° Mount Pleasant, MI
MPHS Student News

The Pipeline

The Pipeline

The Pipeline

Jojo’s Bookshelf

Book Review: The Fault in Our Stars
Ellery Boyle
JOJO with the BOOK OF THE WEEK!!!

The Fault in Our Stars is a tragedy narrated by 16-year-old Hazel. She joins a support group where she meets the charismatic and erratic Augustus. He’s weird. He’s a weirdo, he doesn’t FIT IN, ok? Oh, also she has cancer. Will their blossoming love survive? Will she? 

Finally read this one and ok, it was really good. Honestly, I was kind of put off by John Green books after reading Looking for Alaska, but the Fault in our Stars was pretty swell, if you will. It being from a girl’s perspective might’ve contributed; I’m tired of all these men with their man problems. 

The writing was quite beautiful. The metaphors were on point, the recalls and inside jokes were funny. The banter was intellectual and unmatched. 

A quick shout out to their very first kiss, which was at the Anne Frank house and then everyone clapped. I love an “everyone claps” moment  

Gus and Hazel were FUNNY, and I liked them both a lot. No one was too annoying or aggressively unique, they were just bookishly strange. I’ve noticed that in most of John Green’s books the female love interest is insane and weird and mysterious. Hazel is not like that, she’s normal. Gus, on the other hand, is a manic pixie dream boy of sorts, complete with dying at the end (of course), which I like a lot better honestly. Not the dying part, but breaking the female stereotypes. Yeah! Girls can be normal too! 

Another thing is that everyone in this book has their own unique personality and little traits!! No npcs here! Even the side characters and people only mentioned a few times had depth and individuality.

John stated at the beginning of the book that this story is completely fictional, and he had made it all up. I think that makes it even more impressive considering all the research he must have done for it.  

I had very high expectations for this book, and it was superb! I didn’t cry. I’m sorry. I mean, it’s a John Green book, OF COURSE someone’s going to die at the end. I give this book 3.6 Stars. yay