65° Mount Pleasant, MI
MPHS Student News

The Pipeline

The Latest

The Pipeline

The Pipeline

Behind the Band

A look into the inner workings of Mount Pleasant High School’s marching band and color guard. Why do they do it? What do they do? What’s coming next?
Jason Anderson
One of the marching band’s marimbas, played by Ty Phillips
“Seeing an idea come to life and all the collaboration between parents and students is probably one of my favorite things about marching band,” – Matt Taton, Marching Band Director

Every year the Mount Pleasant High School Marching Band performs at the halftime of all of our football games, the most important of these games being homecoming. It is the busiest game of the year with the biggest turn out. For the band, this means one of the biggest crowds will be there

Color Guard member Hope Russell practicing with their flag. (Jason Anderson)

to watch them perform. “I am very excited for the Homecoming game, it’s the most exciting game of the year,” says Hope Russell, a member of the color guard.

“I enjoy the people, community, and making the band more visually appealing” said Russell when we asked about why they enjoy doing color guard and chose it over the other roles in the marching band. Color guard may use rifles, sabers, and flags in a combination of movements and tosses, almost like dancing, to add a deeper visual element to the band’s performance. “Seeing an idea come to life and all the collaboration between parents and students is probably one of my favorite things about marching band,” – Matt Taton,

Gavin McCreery (Synth I) sets up his brand new Yamaha MODX8+ Synthesizer (Jason Anderson)

Marching Band Director. “To put together a show that’s entertaining and sounds good is a very rewarding feeling” – Jacques Chercover, who plays the french horn and mellophone for the marching band. 

The marching band feature a wide range of instruments and tools that the members use  together to create a beautiful performance. Some people choose to play brass instruments, like Jacques and his mellophone, or Eli Buccilli with his saxophone. For those who prefer stationary instruments, there’s the pit, where Isaac Rothaus and Gavin McCreery play synthesizers, Jaybee plays the drums, and Ty Phillips plays the marimba. If you don’t play an instrument, there’s also the color guard. Rather than making music, they perform with flags, rifles, and sabers, adding a visual element to the band’s performances.

View Comments (4)
About the Contributors
Jason Anderson
Jason Anderson, Former Editor
Jason Anderson is a junior and a first-year staffer on the Pipeline. He chose to join the paper because he wanted to contribute to something bigger for the school, and apply his relevant skills. He is most interested in going out and taking pictures of various activities for the newspaper. 
Claire Vogel
Claire Vogel, Former Editor
Claire Vogel is a junior at MPHS. She had an interest in newspapers because she feels like the arts are underrepresented in news. When she is not covering arts and entertainment she is dancing on the Mount Pleasant High School Varsity Dance Team and dancing at Mount Pleasant School of Dance as well as playing cello.
Addison Koch
Addison Koch, Former Editor
Addison Koch is a junior and first year journalist for the pipeline. She was drawn to the newspaper from her interest in photography and writing. She is the News Editor and runs The Pipelines Social Media. When Addison isn't working on the newspaper, you can find her swimming, playing tennis, and doing performing arts.
Donate to The Pipeline

Your donation will support the student journalists of Mt. Pleasant High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.