56° Mount Pleasant, MI
MPHS Student News

The Pipeline

The Latest

The Pipeline

The Pipeline

Is the Homecoming Dance the Event of the Year?

Homecoming is coming up fast; here’s what you need to hear before you go.

Hey Oilers! Are you ready to dance the night away at homecoming?

We asked the students of Mt. Pleasant High School if Homecoming is all it’s made up to be. Some people say that homecoming is like the ball from “Cinderella.” But for others, they’d rather be doing anything besides attending the dance. Every year, there is a specific theme for each grade; some years the themes are better than others. What were everyone’s opinions about the theme? Is everyone excited about homecoming as much as we are?  Each year every grade gets a designated theme and each theme corresponds to each other; this year the themes are movie genres. The Student Senate members are the ones who decide on the general theme, with seniors choosing first and moving through the grades ending with Freshman.

When asked what she would change about Homecoming Mariah replied, “Probably the themes. They just aren’t good.” The themes aren’t really incorporated into the dance overall. A lot of students feel the general student body should have more decisions in the choice of the theme.

The movie genre chosen by the freshmen is fantasy. You can dress up as your favorite princess or prince and get creative. Sophomore students have decided on science fiction. You can be a planet, star or even an alien!  The juniors are action. You can dress as Captain America, Black Widow, or your favorite Marvel or DC superhero!  Finally, the seniors are horror. You can be Carrie, Chucky, or even the infamous Ghostface killer.

We interviewed a few students from each grade asking them how they feel about homecoming.  “I’m excited for homecoming because I get to hangout with my friends,” said junior Kail Mcqueen. “I love going to dinner and taking pictures with them. I’m also taking someone to the dance so that should make it better.”