65° Mount Pleasant, MI
MPHS Student News

The Pipeline

The Latest

The Pipeline

The Pipeline

Jojo’s Bookshelf

If he had been with me: Book Review
Addison Koch
Jojo with the book of the week!!

Autumn and Phineas have been best friends since forever. Through thick and thin, they stayed together–until high school. Best Friends to strangers in just a few weeks. They grew apart. It was an accident. 

Throughout those 4 years Autumn finds her own perfect group of friends–best friends–but she never forgets Phineas. They’re separated by rival social circles, undisclosed feelings, and an ocean of suppressed trauma. But they’re meant to be, right?

Going into it, I thought this book was going to be a cringe teen romance, but it was beautiful and heartbreaking and tragic all wrapped up with a little tiara on top. This book is written so simply but somehow caused a wave of huge emotions in those little words.

The author knows exactly what it is like to be a teenager in highschool. Autumn was so incredibly relatable- a teenage life, teenage perspective, written by a self-aware adult who can see how shallow and naive teenagers actually are. It’s written to be intentionally childish, and it’s stunning.

Some of the plotlines were so cliche and hyperbolized, but that made for all the more drama, which you know I love. The nickname “Finny” throughout the entire book is a little icky. It gives the same vibes as Belly from The Summer I Turned Pretty, but I guess it shows Autumn’s history and casual familiarity with Phineas so I’ll let that one slide.

I gave this book 4.3 stars. This novel reminds me why I prefer books to movies. The subtle metaphors, poetic inserts, inner thoughts vs. outside conflict phenomenon could never be done justice on the big screen.

https://www.goodreads.com/joliedx2