Catching Up with Ceramics & Studio Art

Laken Gutzoman working on the spirit house for ceramics.
Christina McLeod

“Ceramics pots and other articles made from clay hardened by heat.”  Mrs. Lunsford’s second hour class is ceramics and studio art. They are currently working on a spirit house, teapot or cookie jar, and glazing. Lunsford is not only an art teacher but also a part of snowfest: a competitive event where you carve ice sculptures. For more information about snowfest, talk to Mrs. Lunsford in room 426. Now that you know about Mrs. Lunsford let’s get a look at students’ life in ceramics. Hayden Tollenaere is in 11th grade, he likes to draw but drawing was full so he did ceramics, His favorite project he has done was a clay whistle. The most difficult project Tollenaere has done was the clay mask. Ceramics is

Mrs. Lunsford, Ceramics and studio art teacher for second hour. (Christina McLeod)

recommended by Laken Gutzoman, she really enjoyed the spirit house and her most difficult project was the coil pot. Amy Jensen is in studio art and really enjoys the freedom to make whatever you want. She recommends studio art because it is easy and fun.  Grace Davis is a senior, she says clay is really easy to restart unless it is dry, she loves that she can use her art projects as decorations. Davis also includes that if you have a stressful class that art is a good break and refreshes your mind. Raegan and Tayla Sizemore are sisters and they both enjoy the class. Tayla says the best project she has done was the cookie jar, it is her first year in ceramics and she is in 10th grade. Raegan is in 11th grade and her favorite project she has done was the coil pot which she uses as a makeup brush holder. Raegan also says the whistle was pretty difficult to do. Lunsford said “ there are no freshmen, mainly sophomores through seniors. You have to take a certain class before you can take ceramics.” If you have ever been interested in taking ceramics or studio art, give it a try.