Preparing The Play

Mr. Klak directing rehearsal for The Play That Goes Wrong
Mr. Klak directing rehearsal for “The Play That Goes Wrong”
Jason Anderson

The people are really nice and it gives me something that I enjoy doing outside of the house,” said Paige Whittemore, a stage manager in the Cast A of “The Play That Goes Wrong” the fall school play. 

On November 16th, 17th, 18th, and 19th, Mount Pleasant High School will be putting on a show, unlike any other play you’ve seen before. The Play that Goes Wrong is a show that goes exactly as the title would imply, a high school drama group puts on a play, wrought with all kinds of disaster. Unlike the play, the real play should go just as planned for the talented Mount Pleasant actors and actresses. 

We interviewed one of the cast members and stage directors, Paige Whittemore, to hear her thoughts about taking part in this production. “Being a stage manager is actually really tough… you’re basically in charge of everything while the show is going on,” Whittemore said. On top of being stage manager, Paige was also cast as Taylor in Cast B, a big role in the play. “I was very shocked, but I’m incredibly happy, stage manager is my favorite tech job, and then I got a pretty good part for acting, pretty much what I wanted.”

While partaking in these plays is a great experience for everyone who chooses to get involved, not everything is perfect. We asked Paige what she would change about the play, if anything. “I don’t think I would’ve done two casts, because Klak (Drama Teacher) admitted that he lost his mind when he chose to do two casts.” The idea behind doing two casts is to maximize opportunities for cast members, but it adds a lot of complexity, especially to such a technically challenging and intricate show, further showing the dedication of the drama class.

We also interviewed Giana Anthony, a senior at Mt. Pleasant High School, she plays the role of Max Bennett. Giana said, “The big picture is to just make people laugh and have a good time.” She also said ¨Our rehearsals consist of blocking and nitpicking everything to make sure the comedic timing is right.¨ They rehearse 5 days a week from 3-5:30, and the rehearsals get even later as the show gets closer to opening night. They are putting in a lot of effort to make the show the best version of itself. 

Klak stays very active and involved in helping students during rehearsal. (Jason Anderson)

Over time, the MPHS drama class has shown excellent dedication to their work, time and time again. Not only are they always coming up with high quality plays, musicals, and other shows, they also show a lot of love for what they do, on and off the stage. The drama class has continued to show tons of effort and dedication to doing what they do, so come out and show your support. Tickets will cost $10-$20.