Foreigner Choir Concert

“Being able to perform with Foreigner was one of the best experiences of my life,” said Sheila Utterback, a junior at Mt. Pleasant High School.
The Mt Pleasant High School choir smiling for a picture on stage before the concert begins.
Addison Koch

The Mt. Pleasant High School Choir performed at the Soaring Eagle Casino with the band Foreigner on Saturday October 21st. They came on towards the end of the set to sing ” I Want to Know What Love Is’ ‘ one of the band’s most famous songs, with the artist. 

Backstage, one of the tour workers talked to the choir about why they liked to include them in the performance. He said that the band values fine arts programs in public schools and thinks there should be more funding for them. They hope that by having different school choirs all around the country join them in their performances, it will spark funding for these programs. The whole event was free for the choir. The venue workers set up rows of chairs for the students to sit and watch the performance before they went on, and they also had a backstage area to get prepared.

The Mt Pleasant High School choir performing with the lead singer of Foreigner, Kelly Hansen. (Addison Koch)

Before they went on, many of the choir students voiced that they were nervous, seeing that this is the biggest crowd they have performed in front of. Yet the worries slipped away when they stepped on stage. Their voices blended together perfectly with the band. They rocked it and sounded great. The guest appearance from the choir surprised and excited the audience, many spectators after the concert were approaching them and letting them know what a wonderful job they did. 

¨It was an unforgettable experience of a lifetime” said Giana Anthony, a junior at Mt. Pleasant High School. After their performance the energy of the choir was ecstatic. Some of the students even got souvenirs, like a band members’ guitar picks. It was also some of the students first concerts, and they got to perform in it! The choir was extremely grateful for the opportunity to perform and attend the concert, and they did a great job.